Thursday, June 17, 2010

4th Day Progress


Today the mural really started to gel!  The river and bank started to have edges and slopes, and the grass started to have roots and peaks, so all in all it was a very good day.  A hot day, but a very aggressive painting day.  Kelsey and Tony both helped paint the green on the wall and we decided with the help of Willow where to put the Trenton, NC sign.  If you drive by now you will see a white window at the top of the mural.  Soon it will say Trenton, NC.

Mr. A is taking shape.  Today his lap appeared and he is sitting on a tree stump, which is a change from the photograph we are painting from.  In the picture above (taken by Willow Faye Stroud) he was just beginning to have a stump to sit on.  Eve Davis stopped by in the morning and suggested we take the crate out and put a stump in so I did.  Tony and Kelsey had already gone home when the stump appeared and his left leg became a reality. 

 Some people have asked how in the world do you paint on such a large scale.  Well, it is two fold, you must not get overwhelmed with the size of anything in this world, because you only  have to break it down into shapes, shadows, tones and foundation.  This is my 3rd large mural and each time I learn to take my time, study the picture and look for pieces that light me up and make me want to paint the picture.  As you know the story is that this photograph was offered by his daughter.  I originally wanted just to paint him on a 30 x 40 canvas, which is my favorite size, but as time went by and Willow got involved with The Beautification Committee things started to change and Mr. A. became a mural instead of a painting. 

I got excited today because I saw the poetry in the power of the mural being painted.  I was alone on the wall, and it was 94 degrees.  Mrs. Mercer, a person who attends our church, stopped to get gas and she came over and said "K it's too hot for you to be out here painting", I responded I had plenty of water, and I wanted to work on Mr. A. for a while alone.  She didn't look at me funny, she just said "you are too important to me not to take care of  yourself, so be careful and know we love you!"  This comment meant the world to me.  This is a person I see at church, I know their family, we are invited to their 4th of July party every year and stuffed with chocolate covered peanut butter balls which Kathy makes and her husband passes out graciously at their 4th party.  She is a kind person and I believe she works at a school cafeteria in the area.  She never ceases to take care of her grandchildren and she loves them all equally.  When I enter our church on Sundays I look for her and as I pass her pew (where her family sits), I try to pat her shoulder just to let her know she is special.  Well, apparently she thinks lots of people are special and she goes out of her way to say something nice like "you are too important to us not to take care of yourself", thank you for that Mrs. Mercer, and thank you for Julie and Stevie, Kathy and Patrick, and Junior.  I saw Patrick's son in Mr. A. today after you left, Mrs. Mercer.  I see his son on Middle Road taking a fishing rod from the truck and believe he follows a path to the creek that runs off of Middle Road.  Several times I have thought how wonderful it is to be a boy in Trenton and have the freedom to fish from a local stream.  You and your family are light to me.  Again thanks.

Today several people stopped by to see the mural and ask questions.  Kelsey talked to one person from Emerald Isle, who had some nice things to say about the portrait.  Another man stopped his truck as he was exiting the service station and said I know that man.  I talked to him for a while, and he said it sure is nice to see something of beauty on this wall.  Thank you both for what you are doing I like the scenery around here now.  One lady parked to see the lawyer and she was in her car, she asked if I was an artist and I said I was a student of art, she smiled and asked if I did portraits for people.  I said yes, she asked how much and I said it depends on the size and the complexity of medium people choose, like oil, acrylic, or pen and ink.  She smiled again and said she had just moved to the Trenton area from Richland and I responded that I had moved here 2 years ago and that I liked the people in Trenton.  She again smiled and I felt a connection with her, she too liked it here.  Then another couple of young men came up and wanted to know what the final mural would look like.  I showed them the picture and one young man said I like to draw.  He asked the question "Is it harder to paint than draw?"  I answered with depends.  I believe drawing is much more complex than painting.  I also stated that art is a gift, and if he had that gift, I sure hoped he would continue to use it.  They both took another look at the painting and then walked on.  At one time today I had to leave for lunch and a man walked over and said he would watch our ladders while we were gone.  I thanked him.  He smiled and said your are welcome Ms. K.  He had read the Free Press, Jones County portion of the paper that day and had one with him.  If he comes back I will sign it for him, it is nice when someone knows your name and feels confident enough to call you by that name.

So you can see from this excerpt of the 4th day people are awakening to each other in this little town.  There are all kinds of people here, some with cars, some with bikes, some on foot, but all have friendship in their hearts and I have been allowed to see this in them as they pass by the way of the Awen Mural. 

So today if you are reading this, say hi to your neighbor, ask them how they are, let them know you are a friend, and carry their smile with you as you part.  For together we are strong, no matter what ethnicity we are, we are the same inside full of wonder, creativity and love.  Thank you God for a wonderfully safe day and for the smiles and words bestowed on me, Tony and Kelsey today....I am glad I am part of this wonderful project.  Love to all. 

More photos of the wall will be uploaded tomorrow.


P.S. will be back on wall tomorrow for half a day, then back on Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.  Check it out.....k

No comments:

Post a Comment