Wednesday, June 9, 2010

2nd Day

Today Kelsey met me at the wall and we had to deal with spiders.  There were about 500 little baby spiders all over the wall.  Needless to say we sprayed them and they left willingly!  Yea! 

A.L. had spent the night up there on that cold tan wall all by  himself, but today we were going to put in the water, some of the bank and start the tree stand behind him.  The paint started to flow, and the wind started to blow.  I now know I have to tape our pictures to the wall, because all the pages tossed to and fro, like the sea, which made it a little hard to handle.  This is the beauty of painting outdoors.  A challenge- no, thankful it didn't rain- yes, glad the temperature and humidity was very workable -you bet!  So all in all the wall embraced us as we entered it's presence and we were allowed to begin to dress it with the picture format we had chosen. 

As we began to paint we realized there were people all around us trying to figure out what the painting would be.  Some asked questions and we answered, and some came over and said they knew A.L.  Some said thank you for helping to create a spot of beauty in Trenton.  You see in this section of Trenton, there used to be an old billboard that had been painted green.  The billboard had been up blocking the building wall from view.  All the people saw when they passed the historic courthouse was a tattered billboard painted green weather exposure had made this quite unsightly.  Last year when Willow and I talked about another mural and this picture was given to me, we chose this area to improve.  On Monday night, June 7th, the Beautification Committee met after I inspected the area to ensure there was enough room for the truck and painting supplies next to the wall.  When I looked I found about 15 inches of debris was left and a broken BP sign was still on the property.  I asked Willow for help and she had 7 people there to bag, rake, clean and dispose of all the debris within 1 hour of our arrival on Monday evening.  When we finished, they all turned and said "will this do!", can you paint here now......ah yea......it just reassured me that people had my back.  Tony, Grandma and I also helped, but it felt really good to see this section transforming right before my eyes. 

Oh, I forgot to say that when I went to inspect the property, I had been helping clean the greenery around the Welcome to Trenton signs.  I let Willow know I was interested in finding some Mimosa volunteers.  We call plants that hop off the mother plant and plant themselves for people like me "volunteers."  Well all Saturday I looked for some volunteers and found none.  On Monday when I went to inspect the property, there were 3 volunteers there....my Mimosa trees.  These gifts just keep coming.  Tony planted them yesterday for me in strategic places, so whenever I am outside the house I can see their flowing leaves and beautiful pink buds. 

Now back to all the people around the wall today!  There were all kinds of people there because the wall is right next to a gas station in Trenton.  Since school is out and it is summer, it is quite the busy place.  People stop in for snacks, gas, directions, and just hangout there.  But today something happened that was extremely special to me.  Kelsey and I were painting and listening to the noise of the street, horns, shouts, etc. and this man walked up.  He was a local.  He had two drinks in his hand, a 7up and a red punch drink.  Apparently he had gone into the convenience store and thought about us painting on the wall.  He walked over and held the drinks up and said "thank you."  I said no "thank you", he then smiled and I noticed life had been hard for this man it was written all over him.  He continued to smile and said "thank you for making this a beautiful spot."  He said I don't know what you are painting but the colors are beautiful (we had just put on the blue that would depict the Trent River.)  He smiled again and said enjoy, I will be back another day to see more beauty.  Have a great day! 

Wooooo, how simple, yet how profound - I felt like a gift was given and we were the recipients. Kelsey said "Well isn't that nice", and I agreed, it is not often someone whose life must have been so hard thinks of others and then adds actions to the thinking and thereby creating a moment for all involved. This was a peaceful moving moment. I felt like this mural would be a success even if we stopped painting and just let the colors fill the street. Art is such a wonderful medium that speaks to all on all levels. Thank you God for the gifts that come from within our brothers.




The day went on and we went down to Gypsy's for lunch.  I drank my 7up and Kelsey had some hot fajitas and a blackberry cobbler.  It looked good, but I have to travel that tall ladder next week so I abstained until I got home to eat more chicken.  I believe my middle name is K. Chicken Rowland.  A new way to say an old word  "chick."  hehe   I am still a 70's child!

Lunch ended, we went back to the wall, it is now a lot warmer and people are still milling around, some continue to make wonderful comments and we feel welcome.  We notice A.L. was sitting in the water so I began to work on helping him build a mound of dirt and grass for his sitting area.  You will see soon that he is sitting on a crate, with a fishing pole in one hand and his other hand is on a bucket as he stares out across the Trent River.  Well at this time he has a bucket, part of an arm, his head and face blocked in, his cap tidy, and part of one knee and leg.  The other knee and leg all foreshortened are missing.  So it looks chaotic.....but all artist know it looks bad before it looks better and sometimes you have to wipe out and start over.  Oh the life, a person has to really see the shapes, light, texture and spirit of a flat picture, which is hard, but not impossible.  It always help to know the person, which we do, and we have seen the waterways around our area and that helps also.  So, as time goes by you will see more pictures that may help you see A. L. in all his glory.  We continued to work on the bank and add some green, brown, gray, black layers to help create the ground.  It is a beginning (Day 2) but it is feeling like the wall likes the layer effect we are creating.

Special guest today was "Greg".  He is also an art student who is graduating this year from Jones County High School, and starting college to study art in the Fall.  He helped Kelsey with the bucket shadows and and translucent light effects the sun created on this object next to A.L.'s hand.  Sometimes the smallest details are the most important.  It is nice to have artists stop by and help, to see through another eyes is much like walking a mile in someone elses shoes.....it helps you be there, and really see something different.

The day continued and we starting cleaning up around 3pm.  I notified the tenant next to our area that we would be back next Wednesday to start again.  He thanked us for helping to clean up the area and said he was looking forward to seeing more of the finished product.  I already think I am going back Monday evening to work on the high tree bark and highlights.  I need to be steady, it is 18 feet high and it is an extension ladder, but Tony will be holding it for me and he is pretty steady.  Just so long as I don't look down and keep looking at the wall I can do this.  I may wear a safety harness just in case. 

I am attaching some more pictures for you to see, just remember as time goes on we will have a complete picture for you to enjoy.  Thanks for reading and know I will be back with more stuff...that may make sense or not, but most of all lets remember the journey is the process and these processes make us who we are.  I am better because you are sharing this process with me.  THANK YOU! 

Special thank you to Lisa today, thanks for the call and the reassurance that you are here in spirit, thanks for the prayers, see you soon.  k


No comments:

Post a Comment