Saturday, July 3, 2010

11th Day On The Wall

Friday I was alone on the wall.  I dropped by Red Willow's and spoke with Gypsy, Carol Ann, Willow, Stewart, Jesse, Marie and Lee, the Mayor of New Bern.  It was an energetic time and felt good.  Lee and his mom were in Trenton, and the place was a  buzz.  His mom was a delight, and he mentioned that he painted also.  So it was good to meet a fellow painter.  A newcomer to Trenton, but I am sure they will be back.  They both loved Gypsy's and Red Willows Gift Shoppe.  How neat!

Well, after introductions and small talk and a wonderful prayer I left for the wall.  I got there and it was court day in Trenton.  Lots of people milling around and beach traffic to begin with.  Then a silence fell.  The day was beautiful, the breeze was back and I started to get a little scared that I had hit a blank spot in the wall.  I didn't know what to work on.  I felt stumped!

I picked up my water, sat in my chair, and just looked at the wall.  Then I decided to go and work on the  background on the left side of the mural.  When I began I felt like I was doing it all wrong and the fluidity was missing.  Then as I said "the silence hit", I didn't hear the cars, see the people, or even know what I was doing.  I just picked up the brush, had three cups of paint in front of me and just started.  I noticed the wall had veins of trees running all through it.  I had to look close but as the brush brushed across the uneven concrete blocks little indentions became bushes, trees, trunks, and the bottom of the mural reached up to meet the top.  This continued to happen from about 10 am to 2 pm. 

During those hours, people stopped by, talked, took pictures and just smiled or yelled from their cars.  I could hear again, and because I was just letting God work through the brushes I was comfortable and knew the wall had begun to finish itself with some heavenly help.....that is what I am talking about (Malydia I am coining your phrase.)  I had to get out of my head, in order to let my heart not be troubled about the finalization of  the emerging background in the mural.  Malydia and Shellie stopped by and took some pictures, they are on Face book and it looked great. Thanks for taking the pics!   The water seemed to shimmered with reflections.  It makes me want to go back on Monday and continue working hard to finish the mural.  This feels good.

As I said there were several people who stopped by to talk.  There were three ladies that stopped by.  They took some pictures, were ready for the 4th and one of them was from England.  She loved the fisherman, Dude Andrews and I loved her accent.

There was a guy in a red truck, who drove through and said "nice job, you go girl." I want everyone to look at this wall and say "they  helped."  Art is only as good as it is appreciated....you all make me feel good about this wall...THANK YOU ALL!

The packing and unpacking of the truck is no longer cumbersome, it feels like an old friend, paints in, paints out, water for brushes, paper towels, ladders up, ladders down, get down off the high ladder and walk to the corner, see if it looks good, see if it feels right, but most of all keep going, the only way to get this completed is to be at the wall, hands raised, paint flowing and belief that God is with me, helping me create for the people around who love art, love their town and want to be a part of the life of the wall.  This is a great adventure, it makes me only want to do more murals......it is a very large piece of art, but each small stroke changes it.  The small strokes make it more real......as it creeps across the wall, the image unveils itself.

I can't tell you how many people in this town have talent;  most people draw, paint, are material artists, garden, or produce all kinds of crafts for Red Willows and there are many more who just do it for themselves.  I say the East Coast is special, I am glad I am a part of this art mecca!

There are so many artists exhibiting at Red Willows.  The three ladies who stopped by to take pictures are one of exhibitors at Red Willows.  She makes children's dresses and aprons, etc.  There are several rooms full of craft items made by people in Trenton and Jones County.  Grandma has her afghans in there also.  If you have not been-- go --, you will be surprised what you find in there, who you see and how many crafters are exhibiting.

At 1:40 I began to pack up.  Danny Blackwell dropped by, he calls the wall "The Great Wall of Trenton."  What a warming statement, thanks Danny.  He and Jeannie are my coaches, they just keep me going, thanks to both of you.

I finished packing up, drove down to Gypsy's, picked up a friend, went out to the Jones County Farmer's market and had a great time talking to the producers out there.  The day was beautiful, the sky was a painter's dream and the people out there were getting some great produce from the locals.  So all in all it was a great day, one that I hope to repeat on Monday. 

The background is the most important part right now.  It is the top and bottom merge that will keep you interested, the main point is to have your audience find themselves in the painting.  It could be the palette, the actual figures in the painting, the emotional value or personal experience (such as you like fishing also, or you have fished on the "Trent River."  For the next two weeks, keep looking, keep telling others and invite everyone you know to our town of Trenton.  We have just about everything.....but the best thing for me is the peace of the outdoors. 

I'll be back on Monday, Kelsey will be back on Tuesday.  We'll see you then!  k

No comments:

Post a Comment