Thursday, October 14, 2010

2010 Summer "Barn Quilts"


Well it has been a summer, lots of work, lots of fun, and lots of opportunity coming to this special town as more and more people get involved in making Trenton their home. Ben Casey came to our fair city twice to see Mr. A.L. "Dude" Andrews. Ben was here for Mr. Andrews birthday and special pictures were taken with his entire family and Ben. It was a pleasure to see the honor Ben gave Dude. Thanks you Mr. Casey, and Happy Birthday Dude!


Recently Willow and I visited West Jefferson City in North Carolina. We spoke to the arts council there, met several artists, made a CD of the murals and the barn quilts and took the barn quilt tour in Ashe County. When we got back we started gearing up to create our own Barn Quilt Tour of Jones County, NC. As you can see from the past picture of our first barn quilt we have begun.

Bethlehem Star Barn Quilt (commissioned by a local farm)





I am going to post several more painted quilts at the end of today's blog. I got a call today from my friend Lisa in California. We were recently there and had the pleasure of visiting their haven in Yucapai. Grandma and Tony talked with Steve, and Lisa, Kaylee and I had our feet in the pool. When I sat at this hacienda, I remembered when they were just starting to dream of this house, the land and it's mountains in the background. When I sat there I couldn't help but believe in blessings and belief. When Lisa and Steve had this home built, Lisa stepped out on faith and left her teaching position the day she signed the loan. She has since built a business, helped numerous schools pro bono and has attained her doctorate. Kudos to you Lisa, you are a hero to many, and one of the best friends I have ever had, thanks for coming into my life.

I believe barn quilts will make their way to Yucapai also, Lisa and I hope to get these barn quilts into schools to teach math, design and art.

There are some upcoming murals on schedule now. I believe there will be a new one on Wyse Fork Road soon, then I will begin working on the mill mural in downtown Trenton. This should be finished prior to really cold weather. So keep looking for more paintings to appear in the area.

Yesterday I learned from Wendy Walker about a Paint Exchange Program in Craven County. I called today and because of the flooding, which occurred this month, they are extending their hours this week and have paint I can pick up free to work on the murals in the upcoming months. Thanks Wendy, this is a double kudos thank you......there will be more painting because of this find.

I shared this news with Betty Heath today, they are looking for a house paint, and she will benefit from this news also. Helping others by just a few words over dinner......it's better than the Internet.

Keep watch for barn quilts appearing in Jones County, let me know what you think of them. All comments come to me be prior to posting, but don't worry I am checking the blog daily now and your postings will be released to the blog.

Today was a good day the "Bethlehem Star" was completed for a farm in the area. I can't wait to see that quilt on a barn, it is beautiful. Tony drew the star for me, it took him 5 hours to draw it, because there is about 600 diamonds on this piece. Then I spent 7 hours today painting each block the color it needed to be. It does look like a star, but the colors are amazing.


Take care and each day help someone know they are cared for. k draft 2:48:00 PM by K. Rowland Delete

More finished Barn Quilts:


Fish Barn Quilt



This is a copy of the quilt (the only difference is the background was white so the floating diamonds stood out more. I will try to get a picture from Red Willows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment